4 JANUARY/FEBRUARY 2021 scca.comFROM THE PRESIDENT
UNITING TO FUEL OUR FUTURE
PRODUCED FOR THE SCCA BY:
RACER MEDIA & MARKE TING, INC.
EDITOR Philip Royle
EDITOR-IN-CHIEF Laurence Foster
ART DIRECTOR Ree Tucker
DESIGN CONSULTANT Rob French
Rick Beattie, Paul Brown,Rocky Entriken, Dyanne Gilliam,James Heine, J. Michael Hemsley,Jason Isley, Richard S. James,Jim Kearney, David Muramoto,Steve Nickless, Randy Pobst,Tom Schultz, Jeff Zurschmeide
D.E. Baer, Perry Bennett,Jay Bonvouloir, RupertBerrington, Rick Corwine, GeorgeDwinell, Jeff Loewe, BarbaraProtos, John W. Wilmoth
CEO & EXECUTIVE PUBLISHER
COO & PUBLISHER Bill Sparks
EDITORIAL ADVISOR Jeff Zwart
GLOBAL SALES DIRECTOR
AD OPERATIONS Victor Uribe
PRE-PRESS Miguel Vega
PRINTING LSC Communications,Pontiac, Ill
are welcomed by SportsCar.
All materials are subject to ourstandard terms and conditions.SportsCar is not responsible forunsolicited materials, and suchmaterials will not be returned.
Racer Media & Marketing, Inc.
17030 Red Hill Avenue,Irvine, CA 92614
(949) 417-6700, fax (949) 417-6116
E-mail firstname.lastname@example.orgToll-Free Advertising Line(800) 722-7140
Outside USA (949) 417-6700
Nick Iademarco email@example.com
BACK ISSUES (949) 417-6700
SCCA Member Services
RACER MEDIA &MARKETING, INC.
OF THE SPORTS CAR
CLUB OF AMERICA
Welcome to the first edition of SportsCar for 2021! As we move into the New Year, we are thankful for the many successes we enjoyed across the challenge thatwas 2020, and we are optimistic about 2021 and the future of the SCCA. There weremany lessons learned in 2020 at all levels of the Club, but If I had to pick my “top five”of the most important, my short list of “categories” might look something like this:
1. There is power in Unity. Not to restate the obvious, but I believe when we come together fora common purpose – which we did across 2020 to support the Club and the sport we loveso much at the National, Regional, and Membership level – there is much we can accomplishtogether that we would never be able to attain working as disparate parts. More simplysaid: We win as a team or we lose as a team. So, let’s keep working and winning together!
2. You are key to the Club’s success. We heard a lot about essential workers across 2020
and I am certainly thankful for each and every one of these – but I also appreciate each and
every one of our Members, Region Leaders, Program Leaders, Committee Leaders, Workers,
Volunteers, Staff, and more – as you are all essential
to the continued success and growth of the SCCA.
3. Agility is the new currency for success. This one
is really hard to manage and harness, especially in a
volunteer army, but we demonstrated that we could do
this based on what we delivered collectively as a united team across 2020. Let’s keep this
competency close at hand in 2021, because it will most likely come in handy – again.
4. Experience matters. If agility is the new currency for success, the catalyst for growthas an organization is still tied to the collective experience we deliver to our Members.
Working together to deliver a safe, fun, and exciting motorsports experience for enthusiastsrequires a collective and collaborative effort at all levels: National, Regional, and local.
5. Social Media is a key component of the SCCA experience. Speaking of “experience,” I think wehave an “opportunity” as a Club to improve the way we “show up” in social media, specificallyFacebook. I am a strong proponent of free speech, but I also believe that when this speechtakes the form of venting out of frustration, airing dirty laundry, or taking cheap shots at othersin the Club, this does not work for us, nor does it help create the welcoming environment andthe culture that we all want to be part of, share with others, and build upon in the future.
Under the banner of “agility,” by the time you read this, we will likely be about tokick off our very first SCCA Virtual Convention where the theme is: Uniting to FuelOur Future. Yes, this year’s event will be different than previous face-to-face SCCANational Conventions in Las Vegas. But we believe with your help we can get ourmessage out to even more members and leaders via the virtual platform than everbefore, so please join us and invite others to join our SCCA Virtual Convention sowe can continue to work as one team in pursuit of delivering on our Mission.
Thank you for being part of this Team. Thank you for your continued support and forleading the way across 2021, I look forward to seeing you at an SCCA event soon!
“ There is much we can accomplish
together that we would never be able
to attain working as disparate parts”